Saturday, January 7, 2012

{opportunities}

For only having experienced the Marine Corps first hand for two years, I think that I have been given great opportunities to learn about what David does and to simulate some of it as well.  I have attended 4 events that I mark as extremely important in understanding my husband's career. 

The first was Family Day at TBS (The Basic School).  At this event we got to shoot guns, watch the obstacle course, sit through a few videos and lectures, watch small arms demonstrations, and even launch from a grenade launcher.  It was my first real eye-opening experience.

Family Day -- TBS Graduation 

The second was a day spent with David.  He was in the midst of pre-deployment training and David and his platoon were in a simulator.  I had the chance to go inside and watch what they do.  It was a room split down the middle where the platoon would simulate real life events and situations that they might encounter.  After the mission, the platoon would watch a recording of their training and get briefed on what they did.  It was cool to be on the inside of a cool instrument such as the simulator.  Unfortunately, no photos from this event.  

The third event was thanks to Lt. James Nash.  I was afforded the opportunity to attend Jane Wayne Day for 2nd Tanks Bn.  This was similar to Family Day at TBS.  At Tanks Jane Wayne Day we got to ride in real tanks, a 7 ton, and an AAV (Amphibious Assault Vehicle).  We also got to shoot guns, learn a little MCMAP (USMC martial arts) and watch a live fire demonstration.  

Jane Wayne Day -- 2nd Tanks Bn.

The fourth opportunity was presented today.  I was given the chance to get a tour of the Infantry Immersion Trainer.  This is a facility where Marines train for combat and deployment in Afghanistan.  It was great as a spouse to get to see what our Marines used as training for what they are doing while on this deployment.  We were given a tour and descriptions by the man who was in charge of creating the training and running it, pretty cool to hear the information from the man himself.  


**David Update**

I didn't hear much from David today.  Yesterday he told me that his day was full of paperwork and briefing, so I'm assuming that's what he has been doing.  


David, I hope you know that I still love you as much as I do when you were here.  Always know that you are on my mind and that I'm proud of you.

I'm here, with a half finished puzzle, waiting for you to come home to me.

I love you David.  

No comments:

Post a Comment