Thursday, January 5, 2012

{hero}

What is a hero?  What defines a hero?  Are they someone famous who does great things?  Are they superheros who fight the world's villains?  Are they leaders in our communities?  Are they your parents?  Who are your heroes?  Where do they come from?  Are they born that way?  So many questions about what makes up a hero.  

David is my hero.

A hero to me can be defined as someone who fights for the greater good of everyone around them and succeeds in that mission.  I would say that David fits that category pretty well.  He, as all service members, have dedicated a certain amount of time, and sometimes their whole lives, to a cause that serves the greater good.  That amazes me.  He has found a calling higher than that of most, to defend his country and therefore, literally, risk his life for it.  For this reason, he can be considered a hero, but for other reasons as well.  He, and the Marines in his company that I have met, don't stand up and shout what they are doing.  They don't run around telling everyone that they are fighting for our country, they are quiet about it.  Silently proud of what they represent.  There is no need to "toot their own horns", no need to brag, no need to boast.  We the families of these Marines are proud of them, are impressed by what they do.  We, the wives, are secretly turned on by the thought of our man's "manliness" (and dress blues!).  We are forever proud of them.  Even on the down days, when they are just doing paperwork or are doing work in support of someone else, we are proud.  We are proud to be part of the Marine Corps family, it might not always be a cup of tea and we probably don't like a lot of things about it, but we still carry that silent pride.  

So, David, never forget that I am so proud of you.  For everything that you do, for your country, for your Marines, for your family, for your friends, for me.  I am impressed by you daily.  You never cease to impress me.  I can't express verbally how much I am proud of you.  You are my hero.



**David Update**

Well, no update today, David sent me a quick note from work this morning saying that his internet had been down.  I did receive a letter from him today!  He described different parts of a convoy that they had been on. David explains that he spends his time reading books, paperback and from his Kindle, that his driver has a good sense of humor so they get along, and that for a while that they experienced a sandstorm.  I think it blew David's mind, he kept mentioned how weird the weather is in Afghanistan.  


David, I'm here, with my ukulele, waiting for you to come home.

I love you David.  

No comments:

Post a Comment