Saturday, November 12, 2011

{david's words}

Today's quote is not from a famous author or the Bible, rather someone near and dear to my heart.  I forgot, that yesterday, in lieu of Veteran's Day, that I was going to share some words with you from a letter that David wrote to me.  David had been on a multi-day convoy somewhere and every couple of hours or days he would write me a little something.  Here is part of his letter:

"Being a Marine is a mentality.  It is not a look, it is not a skill, it is not something you are given.  It is earned and it is an inner belief, or pride in your ability and a desire to be the best and outshine everyone.  We typically look a little better and act a little bit more professional, but those are offshoots or products of that mentality.  It comes in pride, in our job and how we represent ourselves and our country in the best manner possible."

I can only admire David for his commitment and dedication to his job.  He sees it as more than a job, more than something that pays the bills and supports his family, it's a way of life.  We grow as humans in our "professions", we are students, we are workers, we are brothers, we are mothers, we are friends, but few of us get to call ourselves Marines.  David is one of those few, those proud.  He loves what he is doing.  Maybe not being away from home, but leading others who have the same calling and love of their country, and in the belief that they can and will do whatever is asked of them at any given moment; and when they are asked, they will do it, they will accomplish and go above and beyond.  It's his job, his duty, his mentality, to be the best and to lead the best.  Oorah!

Kyle (Driver), David(Plt. Commander), Brandon (240B Gunner)
Zach -- dual citizen (David's Interpreter) 

**David Update**

David is still hanging out at Camp LNK.  He said that everyone has been really happy because of their recent birthday.  He has been working out, running and writing awards for his Marines.  These awards are for actions of his Marines during their last mission and another for one individual Marine who has shown an unbelievable work ethic and who produces quality results.   



David, I've missed you a lot today.  So many times today when I've wished you were here with me.  I can't wait to be with you again.

I'm here, with my cup of hot tea, waiting for you to come home to me.

I love you David.  

No comments:

Post a Comment